Monday 13 August 2007

"THE SATISFACTION OF A WELL-PRESSED SHIRT"
IRON-MAD IRISH FLOCK TO SCOTLAND TO REMOVE WRINKLES

CLOTHES LAUNDERING IN NORTHERN IRELAND can be a bit of a hassle. Between white plastic bags from the Squeaky Clean laundrette and a neverending line at the hostel washer, it's enough to drive anyone crazy.

"The first two weeks, I was hurting," student Chrissy Doughty told me. "I felt grimy!"

But for the residents of Northern Ireland themselves, cleaning clothes isn't hard enough. The Armagh Examiner has learned of a new clothes laundering practice in the region that takes the simple act of cleaning one's garments to new extremes of complication and hardship.

It seems locals are queueing up to take a ferry to Stranraer, Scotland to do their ironing atop the craggy peaks of the Scottish shore. One apparently gathers up one's dirty laundry and takes it to Scotland to clean. Swedish ferry line Stena offers a £105 ($212) outing which their promotional literature claims "combines the thrill of an extreme outdoor activity with the satisfaction of a well pressed shirt". The ferry departs from Belfast at 7:35am, returning at midnight-- offering residents of Northern Ireland the entire day to launder their clothes anywhere they want: "[l]akes, castles, mountains, forests... You decide!" the brochure helpfully explains. "[E]xperience freedom like never before!"

Armagh Project students, however, were not so enthusiastic about the idea.

"Are they on acid?" screamed Gonzaga student Brigid Carey.

"It sounds pretty wacky," agreed Temple student Andrew Harrington. "I have no experience in rock-climbing, and I don't usually iron my clothes anyway."

Student Sarah Turner was similarly unmoved. "I wouldn't go," she said. "I hate ironing."

Perfectly-coiffed photo prof George Miller, however, seemed eager at the chance to iron his way through his wardrobe, excited especially if there was a chance to compete.

"Is it a competition?" he chirped breathlessly. "I'm in!"

Does Miller consider himself especially talented at ironing?

"Ohhhhhhhh yeah," he nodded. "Put me on a rock and I'll kick some butt ironing."